Medication Adherence: A Common Struggle
Medication adherence is a common struggle that can affect even the most alert and organized patients. No person is immune to mixing up medications and dosage frequencies, and the challenge to administering medication correctly only intensifies with age and/or an increasing number of medications prescribed.
In a U.S. poll of individuals 65-plus who use medications:
- 51% take at least five different prescription drugs regularly.
- One in four take between 10 and 19 pills each day.
- 57% of those polled admit that they forget to take their medications.
Noncompliance — missing doses or not taking medications as prescribed — is a big healthcare issue. It reduces the effectiveness of a medication and increases the chance of needing more treatment and/or costly hospitalizations.
What Mulitdose Packaging Does
Helping individuals manage their complex medication regimens within assisted living facilities and nursing homes has its challenges. Studies show that the three main concerns with respect to medication packaging are:
- Efficiency of medication management (freeing up nursing time).
- Accuracy of medication administration (reducing errors).
- Accountability of controlled substances (limiting drug diversion).
Multidose blister packaging addresses these concerns, and is a convenient and intuitive solution for residents and caregivers.
Blister packages have grown in popularity around the world because they simplify an otherwise complicated process. One blister package replaces up to 16 standard medication vials or punch cards, making it much more efficient to administer all the right medications to the right patient at the right time.
All of a resident’s medications are in one neat package and laid out in a way that is understandable to the patient and/or his or her healthcare provider.
Pharmacies use proven SynMed automation to fill blister packs, thereby
ensuring all medications are delivered promptly and accurately.
Benefits of Multidose Blister Cards
The transition to multidose blister cards for medication management has
- Increase medication adherence, thereby improving outcomes.
- Cut med pass time by 30% to 50%.
- Reduce errors.
- Be an intuitive solution for both residents and their caregivers alike.
For more information on how SynMed technology addresses medication
adherence, go to synmedrx.com/industry-news, or the company’s ComputerTalk Buyers Guide profile. CT